WELLCOME TO ABOUT BABY BLOG.. LETS TALK ALL ABOUT YOUR BABY !!!

Results

- SEARCH FROM DATABASE ON THIS WEB -

Thursday 11 December 2008

For Crying Out Loud

For Crying Out Loud!
by Kristine Roberson
So you bring your new baby home from the hospital, and you are full of excitement. You're in awe over just how cute and adorable this little person is, and your heart fills with more love than you ever thought it was capable of holding.
A few harried weeks go by and you are starting to notice that your perfect little baby is crying 􀂲 a lot. As a matter of fact, he won't stop crying. You try everything you can think of, and he just won't stop crying. Suddenly, the cuteness starts to wear off. Suddenly, the reality of your new life sets in. And your baby has colic. And nothing you do is working.
Sound familiar? It sure does to me! Although my son did not have colic (he didn't cry for months
straight), he did have "colicy" moments (he would often pull an all-day crying fest). At any rate,
helping a baby with colic is trying, tortuous, exhasberating and tiring 􀂲 and very drawn out.
Classic colic can set in at two to three months of age and last up until about six months of age.
I've heard some horror stories and have a couple of my own. I've also heard a plethora of
suggestions on how to help a baby with colic. Here are the best tips I've been given or read:
Tip #1: If you think gas is a problem, try Mylecon infant drops (no, not for your husband, silly,
your baby!). I used them on my son a few times and he would stop crying and be a happy baby
again after about 10 minutes.
Tip #2: Breastfeeding? Watch your diet! Stick to a basic diet with little to no spices and try
eliminating dairy for a week or so. Your baby may be having an allergic reaction to it.
Tip #3: Breastfeeding enough? Maybe your baby really does want to nurse every other hour 􀂲
mine did! Most babies are comforted by nursing enough to fall right to sleep (and they usually
don't cry in their sleep!).
Tip #4: OK, you may not believe me on this one, but I've had two professionals coroborate the
theory. Was your baby delivered via forceps or vacuum extraction? I've had doulas and
chiropractors tell me that this type of delivery can take the baby out of alignment and a round of
baby chiropractic treatments can be extremely helpful. I've heard stories of colicy babies getting a couple of chiropractic treatments and they turn into totally different 􀂲 and calm 􀂲 babies! Check around and find a reputable chiropractor who specializes in infants and give it a try. You never know. My mother tells me I was delivered via forceps and had colic for three months straight!
Tip #5: Try infant massage. Lay baby on his back and massage his tummy in an upside down U,
starting at one side of his pelvis area, working up to his diaphgram and then down to the other
side. This technique is actually referenced in William and Martha Sears' "Baby Book: Everything
You Need To Know About Your Baby - From Birth To Age Two"
Tip #6: Try a little chamomile tea. I've heard from British moms that a little chamomile tea does
wonders, and I believe it. Chamomile is known for its tummy-soothing properties.
Tip #7: Turn on the vacuum cleaner! I'm serious! The white noise might calm him right down and put him to sleep! We tried this on my son and it worked everytime. Not most times 􀂲 100 percent of the time. We actually burned up the vacuum engine and had to buy a new one!
Tip #8: Formula-fed baby? The formula you are giving him may be contributing to the problem. If you are feeding him a milk-based formula, try a soy-based formula. If that doesn't work, there are formulas specifically targeted to allergic babies. Consult your pediatrician, then give them a shot.
Tip #9: Warm his tummy. Try a warmed towel on his crib mattress and laying him on that (put
baby on his side).
Tip #10: Movement, movement, movement. Rock him, walk him. Put him in his infant carrier, turn on the clothes dryer and place him on top of it. Go for a long drive.
Tip #11: OK, this one was suggested to me and never worked with my son, but you may find it
helpful. Try the "colic hold." Hold your baby on your forearm so that his tummy is resting on your arm, his head is at your elbow and his diaper is in your hand.
Of all the tips above, #7 is my favorite. The vacuum cleaner has truly become my best friend! Just make sure to get your husband to clean the carpets while it's on!
Good luck, and keep your spirits up! Colic is no fun, but it will end. I promise!
Kristine Roberson is mom to 2-year-old Kaleb (who has given his personal stamp of approval on
homemade baby food) and owner of MyMamaSaid.com, a web site with tips, advice and support for all moms. She and her husband run Roberson Publishing, a desktop publishing and web design business. Visit MyMamaSaid.com for more baby food recipes.

0 comments:

MORE ARTICLES